The cannabis market has grown exponentially over the last few years. In Canada alone, millions of people are consuming the substance daily. These folks share the same experience regarding the medical and recreational benefits of weed. It gives them relief from stress, anxiety, pain, and depression, among others. With THC in the product, consumers can also feel euphoria and see the world in a different light.
It’s forecasted that cannabis products would reach multi-billion dollars in market cap in a few years. There’s currently a pattern among producers and sellers to offer more variations of CBD and THC to meet consumer demand. Along with this effort, cannabis devices are also on the rise. One of the popular choices today is vape pens. Have you used or seen one before?
A vape pen is a handy and portable device used by many cannabis users, especially the younger ones. It has a discreet and classy feature that enables consumers to vape weed on the go. If that sounds cool to you, perhaps this device is also the best method for consuming your favourite cannabis item.
Before exploring your choices for the best vape pen in the market today, it’s essential that you know everything about this product first. You don’t want to make poor choices, right? So then, take some time reading the essential facts about vape pens, what you can expect from using the device, and ultimately where to buy one to get started.
What is a Vape Pen?
It’s a device with batteries and small metal coils to heat a substance until it produces vapour and is inhaled by the user. You can find many brands and types of vape pens in the market today, but they all have the same purpose. The product is a top choice among youth consumers because it can be placed in the pocket and used anywhere. When it comes to the potency of the cannabis substance, it also offers desirable effects that can be better than smoking weed. In other words, there’s minimal to no risk of lung damage, plus you won’t get bothered by a smoke odour that may stick to your outfit.
Three Types of Vape Pens
Whether you’re consuming weed for medication or recreation, you’re free to choose the method and substance you will use. Vaping cannabis is possible through these available options:
If you prefer oil to other cannabis concentrates, you can use oil vape pens to vaporize the substance. You can simply add the fluid to the device, turn on the device, and enjoy the vapour until you feel the effects. It’s usually more potent than vaporized herb. That’s why first-time users would typically choose this method. The cannabis oil pen is also clean and easy to use. And just in case you’re looking for alternatives, this product comes in two types: one is a single-use pen that can be disposed of once the cannabis oil runs out, and the other is a reusable vaporizer with oil cartridge attachments with different weed strains and flavours.
Cannabis wax has high concentrations of active compounds, which means to say this could be an ideal choice if you’re seeking potent effects. When consuming the substance in a vaporized form, all you need is a wax vape pen. The device has a battery, mouthpiece, and atomizer where you add the wax and heat it with a coil and then vaporize it. While this may entail a somewhat higher cost as you might need to reload the substance into the atomizer more often, wax vape pens can offer more desirable therapeutic effects than other options.
When you opt for cannabis flowers, the suitable device for you is a dry herb vape pen. You add this plant material to the device chamber, heat it, and inhale the therapeutic compounds through the concentrated vapour. It’s that easy, but you have to set the right temperature so it does not burn and avoid any carcinogens that you may inhale when otherwise using a pipe or combusted form. Gladly, many dry herb vape pens come with temperature settings, allowing you to control the amount of vapour you are inhaling.
Although it’s not a vape pen, desktop vaporizers are another option when you go for a bulkier but high-quality device to consume cannabis. These models have unique features and accessories that can be used to enhance your vaping experience.
Disposable versus Rechargeable Vape Pen
When you’re exploring your choices for the best vape pens in a nearby cannabis store or online shop, there are two basic categories available: disposable and rechargeable vape pens. You have to decide which one is best for you based on the pros and cons. Many consumers tend to purchase the cheapest product without regard for quality whatsoever. That’s usually disposable pens because they are more affordable than rechargeable vapes. But interestingly, there are exceptions to the rule, and you seriously have to study your options very well.
Disposable Vape Pens
These single-use pens are designed to be as convenient and portable as possible. The device is pre-filled with cannabis substance, so you no longer have to fill it, and it comes with a fully charged battery. You can use the product right away by simply opening the package and then vaping the content. When the vape runs out of liquid, it’s done, and you can dispose of the pen and consider replacing it with a new one.
Advantages of Disposable Pens
Disposable pens offer some benefits for cannabis consumers, which is why they are a popular preference today. Here are some of the nice things about buying the product:
- A disposable vape pen is usually affordable
- It’s ready to use and doesn’t require additional components
- You don’t have to charge the device
- The disposable pen is portable and discreet
- It’s a low-risk option if you have no plan of using a vape pen long term
Disadvantages of Disposable Pens
As a consumer, it’s also essential that you know what drawbacks a vape pen may have. This can help you judge whether the product is a good choice based on its pros and cons. Here are some of the negative things about disposable vape pens:
- Disposable vape pens are not eco-friendly because you can only use them once.
- The device may be more expensive if you’re a habitual vape user.
- Most disposable pens don’t hit or draw, so you need more effort to use them.
- Whatever the device contains, it cannot be changed
- Disposable vape pens are cheaper but less solid and durable.
Can You Recharge Disposable Vape Pens?
Perhaps you’re wondering whether vape pens are rechargeable or not. Or wouldn’t it be practical to buy a cheap vape pen and figure out how it can be recharged? This is a great idea, but it’s not possible. Once the disposable vape pen is no longer working, you have to replace it with a new one. The product is not designed to be reused. That’s why it’s more affordable than its counterparts.
Rechargeable Vape Pens
If you want a device that can be recharged, what you’re looking for is a rechargeable vape pen. But before you buy one, it’s wise that you also know its pros and cons. This would make sure that you’re indeed choosing a better alternative among your available options.
Advantages of Rechargeable Vape Pens
While rechargeable vape pens can be more expensive than disposable devices, they also offer advantages. Here are some of the good things about using the product:
- Rechargeable vape pens have more powerful and efficient hits, allowing you to enjoy an ideal vaping experience.
- The cartridges of the device are interchangeable, so switching for different flavours is possible.
- You don’t have to throw away an entire vape every time the battery or cannabis substance runs out. Thus it’s eco-friendly.
- If you’re vaping regularly, rechargeable pens are more affordable in the long run than buying disposable devices all over again.
Disadvantages of Rechargeable Vape Pens
It’s amazing how rechargeable vape pens can benefit you in many ways. But it doesn’t mean you have to disregard certain red flags. Some of the drawbacks in using the device include:
- Rechargeable vape pens have a higher upfront cost.
- The device requires charging when the battery runs out.
- These vape pens can be less portable because of additional accessories.
Which Vape Pen is Best for You?
Both disposable and rechargeable vape pens have their pros and cons. So it’s up to you which option could be more advantageous for your interests. If you want a cheaper choice, go for disposable devices. But if you don’t want to replace a vaping device more often, then choose rechargeable vape pens. Regardless of what choice you make, vape pens are considered more cost-effective than tobacco cigarettes, have a more pleasant scent, and are safer for the environment. You may try our popular Faded Disposable Vape Pen (1000mg THC) – Faded Cannabis Co. if you’re looking for something new.
How to Use a Vape Pen the Right Way
It’s weird, but using a vape pen to consume cannabis does not automatically guarantee that you’ll be enjoying desirable effects. You still need to know things to achieve an optimum experience. That’s what you want after all, right? To achieve just that, here are some key pointers to keep in mind:
Understand how the Vape Pen Works
First-time vape pen users should mainly focus on learning how the device works. Although it’s just common sense for others, there’s a chance that you won’t maximize the use of the product when you lack operational knowledge. Generally, this device comes with a battery, charger, atomizer, and mouthpiece. A standard vape pen works by powering the atomizer where the cannabis substance is heated to generate vapour. The vaporized substance is then drawn into the mouthpiece and inhaled by the user. It’s a simple process, but make sure that you operate the device properly and observe proper dosing of CBD and THC compounds.
Understand Vape Cartridges and Concentrates
There are many options when it comes to vape cartridges and concentrates. But do you understand what matters in choosing them? To begin with, you have to consider what’s more practical and comfortable to use – the cost also matters. The most popular type of cannabis concentrate today is a pre-filled oil cartridge. But you can also use wax, budder, and sugar, which have corresponding consistency and appearance. As a good habit, you have to make sure that the vape pen you are using is appropriate for the cannabis concentrate that you prefer to consume.
Load the Vape Pen Atomizer Properly
It might be tempting to pick up the cannabis wax with your index finger and load it into the vaping atomizer, but please don’t do that. You might degrade the substance if you insist. The proper way of loading the vape pen with a cannabis substance is by using a dab tool to collect the wax from the container and placing it into the heating chamber. If you don’t want to get bothered by loading and reloading the atomizer every time you enjoy a cannabis experience, consider using replaceable pre-filled oil cartridges.
Charge and Store Your Vape Pen
If you plan to carry your vape pen during travel, you need to make sure it’s fully charged. Otherwise, you might be running out of battery and unable to use it. Bring a charger with you, too – just in case you forgot. Another note is to store the device in airtight and smell-proof storage. You may also consider buying a disposable vape pen to avoid the hassle of recharging the device all over again, especially if you want to use it during vacation. The disposable type of vape pen is usually tiny in size and discreet, so that’s another thing to consider.
Familiarize the Vape Pen Button
Vape pens are self-explanatory to use. You have to load the cannabis substance into the device, mount the mouthpiece, press the button, and draw vapour while depressing the button. However, some vape pens don’t have a press button, especially those used with cannabis oils. Instead, you need to draw the vapour. It is advised to small sips to prevent hard and deep inhalations that can interfere with respiratory processes. Newbies need to familiarize some basic button settings that are considered less intuitive and subject to error. One good option is having a device with auto-draw models.
Accessorize Your Vape Pen
Like other electronic devices, vape pens also come with various accessories. These are usually used to protect the device as it can be very fragile, especially with pre-filled oil cartridges. One of such accessories is an airtight container where the vape pen should be stored. You might also need a small metallic tool for scooping wax and placing it into the atomizer. Other accessories may be available to help you keep the product more secure.
Heat Setting for Your Vape Pen
Vaporization is the process of converting cannabis compounds into vapours. These are produced by heating the substance to a specific range of temperatures to avoid combustion. Bear in mind that temperature greatly affects the vapour quality by releasing certain compounds at various temperatures.
For instance, heating the vaping atomizer at a lower temperature may produce thin and wispy yet flavourful vapour. Also, the temperature may affect the potency of the cannabis product. Fortunately, using vape pens allows you to set the device to your preferred temperature range and target particular compounds in the vapour.
Taking the Right Hit from Vape Pens
You might have an impulse to take a hard pull with lots of suction to get a big hit when using a vape pen. But ideally, it’s much better to pretend you’re smoking a cigarette or joint when inhaling the vaporized cannabis substance, as it doesn’t require that much airflow. Remember that the vape pen is vaporizing and pulling more oil into the chamber simultaneously, so you don’t have to draw more often to achieve a clean and solid-sized hit.
When you take larger and more aggressive pulls, it can deliver scratchier hits that are harsher on your lungs and heighten the potential for clogging. For the best experience, you should take smaller and gentler hits on the low heat setting rather than having a monster pull. Do this as if you were hitting a joint and draw the vapour into your mouth using your cheek muscles before inhaling into your lungs. You can get a big and condensed hit because gentle draws are generally longer.
Essential Tips when Using a Vape Pen
Nothing’s technical about using a vape pen – you just hold the device and push the button while drawing on the cart or tank. But to use it properly is another thing. As your guide, here are a few tips when using a vape pen:
- Charge the vape pen fully before using it. You have to because the device has a small lithium-ion battery that can diminish while not in use for extended periods. Sometimes you may think that a new battery is a dud when the only problem is the lack of power.
- If your vape pen has a button, turning it on requires at least a five-click quick press of the button typically. Remember that such five clicks have to be made in rapid succession. The same thing when you turn off the device. Don’t be surprised if the device automatically goes into sleep mode when not in use when the draw is activated.
- Adjust the power of the vape pen before and while using it. When you take a vape, gradually adjust in power and take another vape. Once it feels and tastes to your liking, you may have found the best spot. More often, the adjustable power is a rotary dial on the bottom of the pen, and the typical adjustments are in volts.
- When you take a drag on your vape tank or cart, the pen will stop power to the atomizer once the automatic shutoff limit is reached. As such, you have to check the product’s user manual to know how long such a limit is. Usually, the limit does not exceed eight seconds for one hit. In case you want to take a long draw, you need to release the button for a split-second midway through your hit, then start again right away.
How to Properly Charge a Vape Pen
Vape pens are charged through a USB cord. It’s done the same way as you do with other small electronic devices, like on a laptop. However, as a caution, don’t use a cellphone wall plug to charge your vape pen because its max charge voltage would likely exceed the safety limits of your device. You run the risk of a fire hazard if you charge your vape pen that way.
For proper and safe charging of your vape pen, there are two types of cords that you can use:
- The standard micro USB cord can be plugged into the side of the vape pen or in the bottom of the device.
- A proprietary connection that is attached directly onto the top of the vape pen
If your vape pen has a standard connection and the charger needs replacement, you can use any standard USB cord. Otherwise, you can look for replacements on available sources for a proprietary connection that threads onto the 510.
Troubleshooting Vape Pen Clogs
As a consumer, you must understand that most vape pens are susceptible to clogging, especially if you are using an extremely high heat setting. If clogging happens, you can turn on the warming function of the device to get rid of the problem. But this is only a solution for clearing clogs; avoid pre-heating the coil because it can lead to additional clogging and prevent proper hits.
To access the warming function of the vape pen:
- Press the breaker twice in quick succession. This will initiate a low-voltage current sent through the atomizer to start warming up the device.
- Wait for about five seconds before giving the pen a gentle draw.
- Don’t inhale the vapours just like a cigar, but rather initiate more light draws as this will allow the timer to run itself out over 15 seconds.
This can pop the clog and enable you to continue vaping the cannabis substance. However, more severe blockages may require a more involved fix. If you encounter worse of this kind, you can run a toothpick down and back up the mouthpiece opening of a cartridge to clear oil buildup in the vapour shaft. This needs to be performed with the cartridge at room temperature.
Checklist When Looking for the Best Vape Pen
Interestingly, the vape pen market has a massive selection of styles, functions, features and unique devices overwhelming to first-time users. If you have no standard metrics by which you can judge your options, you might be making poor choices. So it’s wise that you have a checklist to examine each product and ensure that you’re getting value for your money and would ultimately have a great cannabis vaping experience.
The first thing you should decide upon before choosing a vape pen is what cannabis substance you’re going to vaporize and consume. Are you going to use dry materials or concentrates, or both? Bear in mind that there are pens designed to handle both cannabis materials, but do enough research as most of these products can be used for only a single substance.
If you’re going to use cannabis oils, look for vape pens with a tank and an atomizer or a system of wicks and coils for heating. For cannabis concentrates, find one that has a chamber rather than a tank, but make sure that the chamber is easy to clean as concentrates tend to have a more stubborn residue. When dry herbs or flowers, choose a vape pen with a chamber and keywords like conduction or convection heating.
As you look for a vape pen that’s suited to your preferences, remember that different devices have their heating methods. There are mainly three types of heating that operate a vape pen.
- Convection Heating occurs when the heat is transferred to the device chamber without the cannabis substance being in direct contact with the heating element. Although this heating reduces the risk of extra combustion and wastage of vaping material, it does not require a little time to heat up. Vape pens that use convection heating may be somewhat more expensive than conduction heating methods.
- Conduction Heating – a vaping device that uses conduction heating involves direct contact of the cannabis substance with the heating element. This means that you can vape the substance immediately. However, it’s possible to lose ⅓ of what you’re inhaling due to the increased combustion of the vaping material.
- Induction Heating – this type of heating takes place through magnetic fields. Although it’s a rare method compared with the two others, it’s now getting more attention as it won’t take long before it becomes a standard option in the vape pen market. The good thing about this heating is that it provides the cannabis vapers with the benefit of experiencing unwanted combustion.
Another essential consideration is the ease of use or device functionality when looking for a vape pen. There are pretty simple vape pens – all you have to do is load the cannabis material, close the device, press the button, and start inhaling the vaporized substance. But other variations come with features like programmable presets and temperature control, which can be an excellent thing to achieve the ideal potency of the product. But ironically, the more capabilities a vape has, the functionality may drop but the price increases. As a consumer, you have to decide whether you’re comfortable with added features and what price range you’re looking at.
Like functionality, design is an essential factor when purchasing a new vape pen. You have to look for stainless steel or carbon fibre materials, if you don’t mind upping the cost, or high-quality plastics with ceramic heating elements and glass components. If you want a vape pen with rods and coils, choose titanium or stainless steel and quartz rods. As much as possible, avoid materials like Teflon, silicon, or titanium alloys as they have a low melting point, making the device potentially dangerous to use.
Many of the vape pens in the market are powered by Lithium-Ion built-in batteries. If you’re looking for a product that can last several days, you may have to buy a vaping device with a slightly bigger body. The deciding factor is your intent for using the product and how often you want to charge your vape pen. Another essential thing to consider is the output, as lower resistance coils usually create more flavour and vapour and exhaust more power. Most consumers prefer a slim and discreet vape pen because it suits their lifestyle and preferences.
All of the above factors will ultimately depend on your budget. How much you’re willing to spend on a vape pen determines what kind of product you buy and what to expect from using it. A simple, slim, and one-button device is less expensive than stainless steel, decked-out, and multi-material vaping devices. But keep in mind that this is a budding market with new and emerging vape pens coming out regularly. There are plenty of options when it comes to an affordable vape pen, but you have to set your standards accordingly because it determines the kind of cannabis experience you’ll get.
Why Choose Vape Pen Over Other Methods?
Sure, you can consume cannabis in other ways – vaping is just one. But you know what makes this choice more ideal than the rest? It has practical benefits that you cannot enjoy when you go for other alternatives. Some of the nice things about vape pens are given below so that you’ll see the difference:
- Vape Pen is Easy to Use – since the device is handy and portable, you no longer have to go through complicated procedures to enjoy the cannabis experience. Using a vape pen only requires fewer steps to get started. All you have to do is keep the vaporizer charged and loaded with oil, wax, or herbs.
- Vape Pen has No Pungent Smell – cannabis is known for having a strong and earthy smell that you may find bothersome. But when you consume the product through a vape pen, you don’t have to worry about the odour because the raw material or substance is not burned.
- Vape Pen has Cleaner Hit – compared with combusted cannabis, the hit produced from vaporizers is usually cleaner and more potent. It also contains fewer toxins, but you still have to ensure that the product is not contaminated with any harmful agents.
- Vape Pen has Consistent Dose – when you inhale vaporized cannabis, you would likely have consistent dosing compared with other methods. That means you can feel the effects instantly. This won’t be the case when you opt for edibles that can take up to three hours before you experience therapeutic benefits.
- Vape Pen has No Secondhand Smoke – it’s not just you, but also other people around who might get exposed to carcinogens that smoking cannabis may produce. But when you vape the product, you can reduce the number of harmful elements in the atmosphere, thus minimizing the potential risks.
- Vape Pen offers Waterless Cannabis – when you use pipes and joints, you might be using more cannabis substances to get the desired effects. This is not the case when vaporizers generally require less weed to produce potent results. So you don’t need to inhale that much.
- Vape Pen is More Affordable – along with potency, the cost is another consideration among cannabis users. When you use a vape pen, you might enjoy a more cost-effective option as the cannabis concentrates last much longer than the combusted herb. The price of the device is another thing, though.
- Vape Pen is Accessible in More Places – vape pen is an on-the-go device that you can use in parks and public spaces, even in your home. This is unlikely to be possible with smoking cannabis because it’s not usually tolerated in public areas.
Vaping Pen versus Smoking Cannabis
Smoking marijuana may have harmful effects on your health. This is because you can inhale hot pieces or debris that irritate the sensitive tissue in your lungs. Burning the weed material may also cause chemical reactions that lead you to inhale toxic compounds that may be linked to cancer.
On the other hand, vaping pens don’t burn cannabis. Instead, they heat cannabis compounds until they’re hot enough to create an aerosol, but within the range that cannot result in combustion. The aerosol made by vaporizers can feel much smoother in the lungs than the hot and harsh smoke produced by burning leaves.
Medical studies claim that vaping cannabis is more advantageous than smoking it, especially in terms of safety and potency. It also does not cause an odour that’s undesirable to you and other people around you. You can use the product without being noticed and experiencing any disruption on the go.
Are Vape Pens Safe to Use?
Determining the level of safety when using a vape pen requires knowing what’s in the cartridge, what strength is being used, how often it’s being used, and who’s using it. But even without a definite correlation with these factors, there are some facts about vape pens. The risks involved in using vape pens largely depend on whether you’re using them as an alternative to smoking. A medical report reveals that vaping is 95% safer than smoking.
Using vape pens for cannabis-derived products has similar health implications to consuming a mind-altering substance without substantial health hazards. This option eliminates the possibility of inhaling combusted compounds that may be harmful to your general health.
However, the cannabis substance you are using may have adverse effects on your existing medical conditions. You have to observe precautions when using the product, especially pregnant. Also, keep the vape pen out of children’s reach because they might accidentally use the product, resulting in health problems. If you experience any side effects, you may quit using cannabis and consult a physician for the appropriate remedy.
Where to Buy the Best Vape Pen?
Once you set the standards for the vape pen that’s best for you, the next thing is finding the right store where you can get high-quality and affordable devices. But this task might prove overwhelming because there are hundreds of choices out there. If you are not familiar with the trusted names in the industry, you might just settle for what’s available within your reach. That’s not a good idea – you have to make sure that you’re shopping at a reliable cannabis shop.
The Herb Centre is a popular and go-to shop for many cannabis consumers in Canada and other parts of the world. To satisfy your needs, our company has a wide section of cannabis items, including vape pens such as our Full Spectrum CBD Oil Disposable Pen (1000mg CBD) – Faded Cannabis Co. Whether you use the device for medical or recreational purposes, you can get the best experience because our products are made with the highest quality standards.
We would be happy to serve you anytime. Browse our online store, and we expect your orders right away. You may also contact us anytime for inquiries.