If you want to know more about the difference between cannabis and mushrooms, then your search ends here. Our cannabis vs mushrooms guide below won’t just inform you about the similarities and differences of these two popular herbs. Instead, you’ll also learn about the fascinating benefits and effects of cannabis and magic mushrooms, along with updated details about cannabis and mushroom legalization in Canada. Take a closer look now, and instantly get the answers you’ve always wanted.
Major Differences Between Cannabis and Magic Mushrooms
Let’s start this cannabis vs mushrooms guide with a quick shortlist. Below, we’ve outlined the most significant differences and similarities between cannabis and magic mushrooms. So let’s take a look!
- The term “cannabis” refers to a genus of plants. Meanwhile, “magic mushrooms,” also known as “shroomz,” is a popular term in the 70s when referring to psilocybin cubensis, a type of edible fungi. So drawing from these standard definitions, we’ll conclude that cannabis is a plant, while magic mushrooms are fungi.
- Based on current policies for cannabis and mushroom legalization in Canada this year, there are types of cannabis that have been declared legal to possess, grow, consume and sell. On the other hand, magic mushroom consumption is now legal in Canada, but only for those clinically diagnosed with depression. This boils down to is cannabis is legal in the country for medical, recreational and commercial use. Meanwhile, psychedelic mushrooms are legal only for medical use at the moment.
- The psychoactive compound in cannabis plants is THC, which stands for tetrahydrocannabinol. On the other hand, the psychoactive compounds in magic mushrooms are known as psilocin and psilocybin. These herbs have different compounds that interact with the human CNS (central nervous system).
- Many groups in Canada refer to both cannabis and magic mushrooms as hallucinogens. However, THC is the compound in cannabis that’s conclusively known to cause hallucinogenic effects. Meanwhile, psilocybin and psilocin are the psychoactive compounds in magic mushrooms that cause similar yet stronger effects. But keep in mind that there are other compounds in cannabis with non-hallucinogenic effects. And don’t forget that psilocybin cubensis is just one among a variety of magic mushrooms also considered hallucinogens.
- Specific components of cannabis plants and psilocybin and psilocin-producing mushrooms are now used for medical and therapeutic applications in Canada.
Now let’s talk about the different ways to use cannabis and magic mushrooms for experiencing the effects of these herbs. After all, the cannabis vs mushrooms guide won’t be complete without this section.
How to Use Cannabis?
There are different ways to take in particular compounds of cannabis. A popular method is to leave the buds of these cannabis plants to dry then use it like tobacco, inhaling the smoke as it burns. Others use these dried buds as herbs, mixing them with various culinary recipes and snacks.
Many cannabis dispensaries and laboratories in the country extract CBD mostly from hemp, a non-intoxicating breed of cannabis. They then use organic procedures for packaging these as CBD oil and edibles. Many also use these CBD oil extracts for their vape or electronic cigarette products. A few also mix this CBD oil into skin lotions and the like products.
Depending on the THC concentrations and whether the plant is the Indica, Sativa or hybrid variety, smoking almost instantaneously produces a THC-induced high. Researchers and consumers of buds from plants with higher Sativa concentrations say this produces a much stronger THC-induced mind high than a body high. Meanwhile, the same groups claim those with higher Indica concentrations promote more potent body highs. This is the reason why many labs and dispensaries all around Canada develop hybrid strains from cannabis plants of the Sativa and Indica variety.
On the other hand, taking CBD products typically produce non-psychoactive effects. The primary reason for this is that these products only contain trace amounts of THC. So instead, many consumers say they experience effects much similar to a body high induced by Indica varieties. This also means vaping CBD can generate this high almost instantaneously, equivalent to smoking it.
But eating food and snacks with THC and CBD tend to take longer before its effects are felt. According to recent relevant studies, this takes around half to an entire hour on average to kick in.
Plus, smoking and vaping tend to have shorter periods where the consumer feels its effects. This ordinarily takes around a couple of hours or so. On the other hand, eating food and snacks induced with either CBD or THC tend to produce longer-lasting effects, usually around 4 to 8 hours.
Go to our comprehensive CBD vs THC guide to learn more exciting stuff about this. This can help you decide on the most suitable types of the newest cannabis-infused products to use in the Canadian market today, be it if you’re a first-timer or a seasoned consumer.
How to Use Magic Mushrooms?
The most widely used method to experience the effects of magic mushrooms is to leave them to dry and eat them. Many consumers in Canada say it’s both tasteless and odourless. So this is why many of them prefer to mix it in with a variety of culinary recipes and snacks.
Interested in delectable recipes that can enhance your experience in taking magic mushrooms? Go to our Shroom Edibles 101 guide to learn about fascinating ways to prepare shroomz with your favourite dishes and snacks.
Meanwhile, others crush dried magic mushrooms and sprinkle them onto the tobacco of their cigarettes. They then feel its effects after smoking. Some also do this on their food.
Some laboratories around the country have begun to produce psilocin pills. More groups are starting to compete in this field after the Canadian government allowed this compound for medical and therapeutic use for those clinically diagnosed with depression. This is also ingested, closely following a physician’s recommendations.
Like smoking dried cannabis buds, the effects of magic mushrooms kick in much faster when smoking dried and crushed shroomz with a tobacco product than ingesting it with food or eating it as is. Depending on the volume consumed, effects last for 4 to 8 hours or longer. But keep in mind its effects don’t kick in as fast as smoking or eating CBD and THC-infused products. It takes half to an hour or so longer before you start feeling its effects.
So at this point in this cannabis vs mushrooms guide, we’ve covered the how. And now let’s move on to the why i.e. Why do many Canadians take products infused with CBD and THC? Why do some take magic mushrooms? To understand this, let’s look at both carefully studied and popularly perceived benefits of cannabis and psychedelic mushrooms.
Cannabis Benefits Shortlist
- CBD-infused products and strains with higher Indica concentrations are known to help consumers relax and soothe body aches and pains. This is among the most popular applications of cannabis products in Canada today.
- THC is said to help relieve stress and fatigue, especially when mixed and carefully balanced out with CBD. But remember, the Canadian government only allows no more than 10mg of THC per pack of CBD edibles, vape products and the like, with a pack limited to 1000mg of content.
- CBD and THC products from cannabis plants with a higher Sativa concentration promote intense concentration, creative inspiration and focused motivation in some individuals.
- A well-balanced combination of Sativa and Indica concentrations and CBD and THC percentages in these products has been said to widen its range of benefits and enhance its positive effects across many cannabis-loving communities.
- These products are also used to manage anxiety, panic attacks, depression and other similar mental, physiological conditions in some individuals.
- CBD and THC-infused products are used to help some people with cancer in improving their mood and appetite.
Magic Mushroom Benefits Shortlist
- Growing numbers of research groups all around Canada this year are starting to do clinical tests to gather conclusive evidence on its benefits for treating medically diagnosed depression.
- The same organizations and university researchers are also excited about magic mushrooms being able to overcome or at the very least positively manage complex to treat conditions like alcoholism, among other types of addiction as well as lethargy.
- Magic mushrooms and other hallucinogens are showing positive signs of being able to help manage stress, anxiety and fatigue.
Mushroom Legalization in Canada Today
After covering the benefits of the compounds in these herbs, let’s move on to the next section of this cannabis vs mushrooms guide. It’s already a well-known fact that cannabis has been decriminalized, legalized and regulated by the Canadian government for medical, recreational and commercial applications all around the country. But after listing down the magic mushroom benefits earlier, you’re still probably left asking: “Are mushrooms legal in Canada?” So let’s try to answer that now.
Magic mushrooms were recently declared legal in Canada for medical applications physiological and neurological research studies. Put, shroomz can be used by certified research specialists for their relevant scientific studies leading to clinical trials and by licensed medical professionals for treating patients with clinical depression.
However, it should be clear that magic mushrooms remain a regulated product in Canada for recreational use. Spore kits are legal to sell and possess across the country, mainly because spores don’t contain psilocybin or psilocin, which are the active compounds of magic mushrooms. To clarify, spore kits are, as the name implies, home kits used to grow shroomz.
Tackling the legalization of cannabis and magic mushrooms above leads us to ponder why this continues to be done and improved with utmost carefulness and scrutiny. In turn, this makes us wonder about the disadvantages and risks involved in using cannabis and magic mushrooms. So let’s talk about that now.
Disadvantages of Using Cannabis
- Although rare, some Canadians have been reported to suffer from psychological addiction to cannabis-infused products. Some medical experts say this is similar to alcoholism, though without any moderate to severe physical addiction symptoms.
- Even with minimal to 0 psychoactive effects, CBD-infused products still negatively affect consumers from safely handling machines like vehicles and manufacturing equipment, among others. Just like alcohol, driving or operating machinery after taking these products is still prohibited, mainly because you can pose a severe risk to your own life as well as the lives and property of others.
- Some CBD and THC-infused products have been reported to cause anxiety, panic attacks and mild to moderate bouts of depression in a few individuals, especially those with certain physiological severe conditions.
- In rare cases, some cannabis-infused products can moderately contribute to the aggravation of weight and similar health issues in some people with diabetes and overweight individuals.
- Mixing these products with other intoxicating substances like alcohol and other hard drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamines are said to cause unpredictable, often severe physical and mental issues in a few individuals.
Disadvantages of Using Psychedelic Mushrooms
- A few Canadians say that the vivid hallucinations they get after taking magic mushrooms can sometimes cause anxiety, panic attacks and bouts of paranoia.
- Some individuals, especially first-time consumers, report that they feel nauseated and can sometimes suffer from vomiting for a few minutes at a time after consuming shroomz.
- Like cannabis, taking magic mushrooms in combination with other intoxicating substances like recreational drugs and alcohol has been known to cause unpredictable results, a few of which have been reported to cause mild to moderate risks to some individuals and others around them.
When Will Psychedelics Be Legal in Canada?
At this point in our cannabis vs mushrooms guide, we delve into more hypothetical situations. We’ll be basing our judgment on facts about the current state of legalization of magic mushrooms in Canada and how cannabis has been decriminalized, regulated and legalized for medical, therapeutic and recreational use by the Canadian government of today.
But we also need to factor in the scientifically tested and community-perceived benefits and disadvantages of these hallucinogens into the discussion. Of course, we must also draw from the experience shared by consumers all around Canada.
So we know that cannabis-infused products are already legal to use for medical, therapeutic, recreational and commercial purposes all around the country. But we should also consider how long it took for this process of decriminalization, legalization and regulation to get to this point. Remember, this process started from the grassroots in the early 70s and continues up to this day with growing institutional and community support for the past few decades.
And, we must factor in that cannabis-infused products aren’t considered 100% hallucinogens. This is especially relevant because the mind high generated by ingesting these products vary from person to person. Put, it causes hallucinogenic effects to some individuals, but none to others, especially when we’re talking about CBD-infused products below the acceptable 10mg per pack limit.
Now we move on to talk about potential magic mushroom legalization in Canada. Some say it’s already starting with the legalization of shroomz for scientific research and medically supervised therapeutic applications within controlled environments. Clinical tests are included in this policy. And focus today around the country is mainly on the possibility of using magic mushrooms to treat clinical depression and challenging to overcome conditions like alcoholism, among other forms of addiction.
So to specifically answer the question of when will psychedelics be legal in Canada, we’d have to agree that, at this point, only shroomz are potential candidates for a similar type of decriminalization, legalization and regulation as what happened with cannabis. And this, to at least reach a compromise, would most likely take a bit more time to happen, if at all. Plus, the legalization of magic mushrooms could probably be initially limited to medical applications under controlled settings, especially after relevant research groups get positive results from their clinical trials.
Also, we’d need to remember that there are other types of organic and synthetic psychedelics aside from cannabis and magic mushrooms. So estimating the time for all or even a majority of these psychedelics to be legal in the country will be pretty tricky, especially if we want to come close to an estimate with a formidable likelihood of happening at all.
Important Stuff to Consider When Taking Cannabis and Mushrooms
In this cannabis vs mushrooms guide, we must tackle some of the most crucial things to keep in mind when taking these psychedelics. This is especially vital if it’s your first time to experience the effects of cannabis and shroomz. So let’s start!
- Always start with CBD, THC or shroomz-infused products with the smallest amounts or concentrations of the psychoactive compounds in these substances. This enables you to gauge your unique limitations when it comes to your body and mind managing the effects of these products. By starting with the least amounts possible, you’ll be able to gradually work your way up to incrementally higher concentrations per serving, especially since your body and mind will naturally build up tolerance and familiarity with the effects of CBD, THC, psilocybin and psilocin.
- As repeatedly mentioned earlier for emphasis, avoid taking other intoxicating substances before, during or after using cannabis or magic mushrooms. For example, don’t try to take shroomz immediately after ingesting any cannabis-infused product. The same applies to more common products like alcohol and strong coffee. That’s because aside from getting unpredictable results, it’ll be more challenging for you to accurately determine your preferences and tolerance to the effects of each product.
- If it’s your first time using any of these CBD, THC, psilocybin or psilocin-infused products, then you’re advised to have a trip-sitter with you as you go through the highs and other effects of these products. But keep in mind, your trip-sitter should have significant experience dealing with the effects of similar products and performing first aid when necessary for emergencies. They should also be prepared to contact the right medical experts who can quickly respond in case of issues.
- When you develop recurring uncomfortable symptoms after ingesting these products multiple times across a specific period, like several days or a few weeks, you’re advised to stop taking these substances immediately. It’s almost always best for you to consult your physician or a medical professional with commendable experience in relevant fields. You’re also recommended to do this even if you suddenly feel uncomfortable with any of its effects right after using these products.
- If you experiment with similar substances that have yet to be legalized in Canada, don’t hesitate to contact the appropriate medical practitioners and specialists in your area to respond to any emergency immediately. So before engaging in such risky situations, if you decide to do so, you’re advised to be prepared with the contact details of the right group that can help you with any problem that might surface during and after you take these products.
Cannabis vs Mushrooms — What Should I Use?
Many Canadians we talked to while developing this guide say they prefer to use commercially available CBD-infused products from licensed dispensaries, stores and online shops. The primary reason for the majority in this group is the level of scientific research, thorough testing and clinical trials performed before releasing these products in the market. After all, they’re concerned about their safety and well-being.
So with all the stuff that we hope you learned from this cannabis vs mushrooms guide, you’re now armed with what we think is sufficient information. We also believe this can help you make a more informed decision on which product would be ideal for your preferences, situation and physiological condition. Better yet, consult a medical professional with specialized expertise in relevant fields around your area. And, don’t forget to follow the important reminders that we detailed earlier while discussing the difference between cannabis and mushrooms.